ROUND-UP: Africans in the Football League

Notts County’s Stanley Aborah scored his first goal in English football this weekend, while Burnley’s Tendayi Darikwa returned from the Championship’s international break to perform heroics.

Tendayi Darikwa denied a David Wheater header off the line, helping Burnley to a clean sheet, as they defeated basement side Bolton 2-0, while the Clarets occupy fifth place and a play-off position.

Jacques Maghoma could have extended Birmingham’s lead at home to Queens Park Rangers, but instead shot wide, as the Blues saw out the game 2-1 against the former Premier League side. Viv Solomon-Otabor replaced Demarai Gray with just three minutes remaining, as the latter had an 18-yard drive denied by QPR ‘keeper Rob Green, early in the game. Nedum Onuoha, who had set up QPR’s opening goal, then fouled Clayton Donaldson to gift Birmingham the winner.

Benik Afobe’s 19th-minute strike, to level for Wolverhampton Wanderers at Pride Park was not enough, as they fell to a 4-2 defeat at the hands of promotion-chasing Derby County. Sheyi Ojo came on after 60 minutes, to then set up teammate Adam Le Fondre to pull a goal back.

Moses Odubajo assisted Mohamed Diame, with his effort saved, several minutes after taking a first-half setback away to Sheffield Wednesday. Chuba Akpom came on to replace Diame, as Hull earned a point in a 1-1 draw in Yorkshire.

Larsen Toure saw his shot blocked into added time, as neither Ipswich nor visitors Huddersfield Town could find the net. The Terriers Middlesbrough loanee Mustapha Carayol came on after 66 minutes for the injured Sean Scannell.

Jonathan Kodjia shot wide after a minute against Nottingham Forest, before his headed pass fell nicely for Aaron Wilbraham to give Bristol City a third-minute home advantage.

Gaetan Bong’s through ball allowed club legend Bobby Zamora through on goal to score his first on his return to Brighton, with the visitor’s late goal stealing all three points from Leeds United.

Over in League One, Enoch Andoh scored his first goal for Port Vale after 40 minutes to give the home side the lead against Peterborough United. He earned his side a second-half penalty soon after the break, but Michael O’Connor couldn’t find the net. Uche Ikpeazu also drew a foul, but again the hosts couldn’t convert with four minutes remaining. Posh had earlier converted a penalty of their own to draw 1-1, following a foul on Ivorian Souleymane Coulibaly, whose header shortly afterwards came close to giving the visitors a victory.

Sullay Kaikai, on loan from Crystal Palace, gave Shrewsbury a 15th minute lead away to Scunthorpe, however, the hosts fought back to win 2-1 at Glandford Park.

It was a day to forget for Tosin Olufemi, who was on the wrong side of a 5-0 hammering away to Wigan Athletic.

Finally, into League Two where Semi Ajayi’s foul on Shaun Miller in the box gifted the latter to fire home an equaliser for Morecambe after seven minutes, while the Nigerian failed with a later header that would have been no more than a conciliation goal. Adebayo Akinfenwa cut the 3-1 goal margin the visitors held over AFC Wimbledon shortly after the break. But two late goals rounded of a relatively comfortable afternoon for the Morecambe, while Akinfenwa will not be happy with the numerous chances he wasted to keep Wimbledon in the game.

Stanley Aborah opened his goal scoring account in English football with a strike that helped Notts County end their four-game winless run with a 2-0 victory at home to Yeovil Town.

Andy Yiadom fired wide just moments before John Akinde gave Barnet the lead at home to York City. Akinde went close to getting his second with three minutes remaining, before assisting Josh Clarke to give Barnet a two-goal advantage, as they won 3-1.

Armand Gnanduillet struck the bar late in the second half, as his threat in front of goal increased, with another effort saved just before half time. However, this time, his header did find the net to double Stevenage’s lead. Wycombe Wanderers managed to pull one back, while Gnanduillet could have restored the home side’s 2-0 lead, with his effort saved into added time.




Comments are closed.